- General Details
A biomaterials tester for prescreening bulk materials and coatings.
Testing biomaterials for their tribological properties is very important in order to create safe and reliable implants. However, testing implants using a joint simulator is complex, time consuming and very expensive.
The BioTribometer is widely used as a precursor to joint implant simulators, primarily for research and development of biomaterials that replace bio interfaces in orthopedic and dentistry.
Every station in the BioTribometer can be equipped with sensors to measure the friction and compound wear of biomaterials while generating clinically relevant conditions.
- Single station or multiple station system (1 or 6 stations)
- Pin rotation module
- Frictional force and wear measurement module
- Temperature control and measurement module
- Lubricant recirculation system
- Tribocorrosion module
AVAILABLE IN SINGLE OR SIX STATION VERSION
Available in 1 or 6 station configuration, the BioTribometer is designed for any lab, small or large to effectively test tribological characteristics of their biomaterials. Since test durations in biotribology applications are usually quite long, the system is carefully designed for years of trouble free operation.
CUSTOM DESIGNED FULLY PROGRAMMABLE MULTI-AXIS STAGE
The high service life stages are designed ground up for taking on high cycle testing demands of biomaterials testing. The stages can be programmed to operate in any trajectory that is desired by the user. Preset trajectories like linear reciprocation, circle, square, figure of 8 (or “butterfly”) and rectangle are available on the software for quick start of testing.
The BioTribometer can generate cross shear motions along with loading profiles and a sliding speed in relation to the gait cycles, as per ISO 14242-1 and ASTM F732.
COMPLIANCE WITH TEST STANDARDS
The BioTribometer complies with the ASTM F732 test standard Annexure A2 using ISO 14242 gait load cycle and fixed load multi-directional profile.
A specially developed tribocorrosion module is available as an option for the BioTribometer. It can be plugged into a compatible potentiostat to evaluate the electrochemical behavior of biomaterials during friction and wear tests. A compatible potentiostat / galvanostat is also available from Ducom as an option for ordering together with the tribocorrosion module.
The tribocorrosion module allows users to determine the polarization resistance, corrosion rate (mm/year), corrosion current, corrosion potential according to the ASTM G59 and ASTM G102.
- Technical Info
- Upper specimen: Roller: 47 mm in diameter, 10 mm wide (flat and crowned roller). Test block: 6.35 x 6.35 x 6.35 mm
- Lower specimen: Roller: 47 mm in diameter, 10 mm wide (flat roller)
- Speed: 2 to 2000 rpm
- Normal load: 0.1 to 8 kN (automatic loading)
- Temperature: Up to 120 °C (lubricated conditions). Up to 700 °C (dry conditions)
- Friction and wear behavior of different biomaterials – UHMWPE, CoCrMo, Ti6Al4V, TiBN during walking, stair-climbing and running gait-load cycles.
- Determine the fatigue, friction, and wear behavior of dental materials (enamel, Zr2O3, Ti6Al4V) during chewing and occlusion load cycles.
- Lubrication behavior of bovine calf serum, fetal calf serum, synovial fluid, saliva, albumin, mucins, and other biomolecules.
- Determine mass loss due to corrosion of biomaterials during the linear polarization curves using a tribocorrosion setup.
- Quality test of different grades of UHMWPE (gamma irradiation, Vitamin E) used in the manufacture of acetabular cups, liners, and knee inserts.
- ISO 14242: Implants for surgery — Wear of total hip-joint prostheses — Part 1: Loading and displacement parameters for wear-testing machines and corresponding environmental conditions for test.
- ASTM D732: Standard Test Method for Wear Testing of Polymeric Materials Used in Total Joint Prostheses.
- ASTM G59: Standard Test Method for Conducting Potentiodynamic Polarization Resistance Measurements.
- ASTM G102: Standard Practice for Calculation of Corrosion Rates and Related Information from Electrochemical Measurements.
- Order Enquiry
- Related Products